Sunday, January 20, 2008

More Substantive Commintary


Sen. John McCain won the Republican primary in South Carolina on Saturday, and Ron Paul placed second in Nevada and I couldn't be happier. I sincerely wish McCain had won the presidency in 2000, because I believe the world would be a better place now. McCain would have had the appropriate responce to 9/11 and he may even have had the wits to stop it but we can never know now. We just have to live with the effects of Rove's wicked campaigning where he was able to paint real American war heros like McCain and Kerry as cowards in compairison to a drunk driving, draft dodger. (better than G.I.Joe)


McCain and Paul are the kind of Republicans I could vote for. There are people who are disappointed with their conservative credentials on the right but these are the kind of maniacs that voted for Huckabee. They put enforcing their religious beliefs on other people over, freedom, fiscal responsability, integrity, security, and sound defence policy. In my book those are the things that make someone a Republican, not the desperate need to carve out special religious privileges for yourself and opress everyone who disagrees with you.


Politicians like John McCain gave me hope that there can be such a thing as integrity in public office. Which is why I fealt personally offended when he gave the graduation address at Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. It was overt pandering like I had never seen and I couldn't have expected from McCain. I suppose Rove and his evil strategy of courting the southern poor with appeals to devicive religion could mess with anyone's mind.


One last thing about Huckabee. I am gonna say something that sounds like an Old Media attempt at manipulation. Huckabee cannot win a national election, he is not "electable." I saw this kind of thing play out in the last senate election in Wisconsin. In the primary the Republicans of the state nominated someone that appealed to them so they got a religiously extreme, inexperienced, but nice-looking candidate. When it came to the state wide election he could only garner the votes from those that had voted for him in the primary that went for style over substance. Huckabee is the same kind of candidate. He represents a religious special inetrest group, and only people in that special intrest group are voting for him. If Huckabee wins the Republican nomination, I predict he will get no more than 33% of the popular vote(persuant to our previously cited 1/3 are always wrong). Unless, he is pitted against Sen. Clinton, who is hated by a considerable section of the population. In which case, I would give him a twenty point spread even though those two catagories are going to have some overlap.

No comments: