Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Probable Cause


We have talked before about the nature of police work and its effect on individuals. Both on the mental state of the individual peace officer and the effect on the people being tazed. To rehash somewhat, when your principle mode of interaction with other people is as an authority figure dealing with the most violent and depraved elements of society it tends to color your perception of the world. This can lead to the effect that an officer looses the ability to differentiate between a clear and present danger and a normal person. I have no study or authority to point to that says this, it is just my observation in dealing with the police. Which has colored my own perceptions.

The example I want to talk about is my own recent experience in being falsely accused of a crime. I won't get into too many details of what happened until I consult a lawyer but, basically I was accused of something I didn't do because my name is similar to the person who the evidence points to.

The two things above seem unrelated until you consider the example of Arabic looking persons trying to use air travel since 9/11.

Mistaken identity and prejudice by law enforcement exacerbate an already stressful situation of being falsely accused of being dangerous or a criminal with an affront to your human dignity. Furthermore, in a situation where one must resolve a bureaucratic error one must remain calm so as not to upset the desk jockey that holds ones fate in their hands.

Combine all the above with the already stressful situation of dealing with air travel, the Muslim persons who actually complete travel by air must have the patience of a saint.

No comments: