Friday, October 31, 2008

The Friday Bacon: Bacon Grease Makes the Best Patina


There is a cup in the refrigerator. It sits in the back. Nobody knows it's there, and that's how I like it. The cup is filled with bacon grease. When I make eggs and pancakes I like to use the best thing possible: a cast iron skillet. When I bought the skillet I thought it was a miserable thing. Everything stuck to it. They sell patina oil in the camping stores. I tried it, and I don't think it is very good. I also have a cast iron dutch oven. Every year Dave and I make a corned beef brisket in it on St. Patrick's day. The dutch oven has a beautiful gloss on it. I can make stews, potatoes, cheese sandwiches, and nothing ever sticks. So why was the dutch oven so much better than my skillet? BEEF FAT. I realized you need to melt REAL fat on your skillet to give it a patina (not some oil in a boutique store). Now whenever I make my bacon I render the grease into my cup. When I make eggs and grilled sandwiches I start with a little bit on bacon grease to help the thirsty pan keep its lovely patina. And when cooking eggs and such it tasted better than butter or oil, too! When I am done cooking, a paper towel usually does the trick to clean it up. This is why bacon grease makes the superior choice!

No comments: