Tuesday, November 13, 2007

144 posts and this is the second with primary source reporting.

Background: This afternoon I was in a neighborhood in Cleveland that boarders two neighborhoods that are drasticly distinct economicly. The far east side of Cleveland which is poor, with many abandoned homes, foreclosed homes, and boarded up storefronts, where the average home sells for not more than $30, 000. Seperated by two to three blocks of shops in increasing state of repair as you travel east is the western edge of Shaker Heights, a community that is host to homes that top $1 million.

The Observed Facts: On the street that markes the political/jurisdictional boundry between these two communities (Kemper/Moreland), I saw what I would term a "speed trap." Between the hours of 3pm and 4pm I observed six seperate traffic stops on this street. Of those six traffic stops the only three of which I was able to get a look at the driver of the vehicle, the driver was a black male.

Interpretation: I have made no attempt to contact the Cleveland or Shaker police departments to clarify what I saw. Also, I make no accusation of racial profiling. What I observed could easily be a fluke in the time that I happened to be looking and all the other people that were stopped during this operation were of some other ethnic/gender mix. It only looks bad when there is this kind of strong arm tactics that could lead to such an impression.

No comments: