Saturday, April 18, 2009

Of Silent Passings

From The Fringe Element
I have previously mentioned how the origins of D&D are intertwined with southern Wisconsin. I have been chided, probably in response to the articles I have written regarding Gary Gygax. I have been chided for not recognizing the passing of Dave Arneson. Arneson is pictured above as the bearded guy on the left. The bearded guy in the center being accused of being the murderer is Gary Gygax.

Dave Arneson was instrumental in the creation of D&D back in the ancient days before anyone had thought of a role playing game or a character sheet, or a Dungeon Master. These words are so significant in my life that these men seem to be earth shattering geniuses. I find myself hard pressed to separate out how their original ideas have changed the face of gaming or created whole new dimensions of the paper, miniatures, board game, and video game industries.

Sadly, I never paid much attention to the names on my books which would have given me some inkling of the great men to whom I owe the many hours of nerdy squealing joy. Equally sad is the fact that often we never hear of significant people until after they have died. Arneson Died last week on Tuesday. He was only in his early 60's.

UPDATE: According to our commentator(commenter?) the man I identified above as Dave Arneson is actually Mike Carr. From my perspective this is conflicting information coming from third parties. If Wikipedia has taught me anything it is the value of verification on the internet. So, if anyone can positively identify those in the above image I will go off of that in the future. My goal was to post an image related to this article and not just swiped from Wikipedia, and thereby enrich the imagescape of the internet. However I would warn against using the images I post as a reference since it is abundantly clear I do not know who these people are.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, the guy on the left on the cover of the 'Suspicion' game is Mike Carr (creator of Fight in the Skies). The woman is my mother - Mary Gygax, my dad as you mention, and Dave Sutherland on the right. I believe Brian Blume was the murder victim, although of that one I'm not 100% sure. This brings back childhood memories!

Aloha,
Heidi

Th' Dave said...

My apologies. I was going off of information relayed to me by my Mother in law, who is the wife of the man who took the picture. So clearly there could be some loss of information or confusion there. Or perhaps given the passage of time since its taking and the significance of the passing of a member of that circle has led to a mixing of memories. I know it happens to me.