Monday, December 10, 2007

Licence To Carry Stops Shooting Spree

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/14817480/detail.html
This is exactly the kind of story that gun rights advocates have been wanting for so long. Someone with a right to carry permit stopped a mad gunman from causing a bloodbath in a church. This is exactly the kind of thing that will be pointed to in any debate about gun control when someone mentiones the Virginia Tech massacre.

I acknowledge that it is bad taste to capitalise on the suffering of others for political gain. I only wish I were eloquent enough to be sensitive while talking about the grisly events of the day. I think this event raises some serious issues that need to be discussed, but people died. And it dishoners the memories of the dead to wave this tragedy as a banner.

Also, my first reaction to hearing this hero speak on the air today was actually one of revulsion. Hearing Assam say that God was on her side made my stomach turn and I shouted, "But God wasn't on the side of those who died?" In retrospect I was probably being too harsh due to my inherant discust for outward religious posturing.

I want to extend my sympathies to this brave woman and the bereved families. As well as my sincerest wish that the courage she showed today stays with her. Shooting someone, even when justified, can't be an easy thing to deal with.

No comments: